Ek Handi ki Dal Bhaat Recipe
Ek Handi Ki Dal Bhat (One pot Dal and Rice) a traditional Gujarati dish, this was also a staple in my home, also called Dal Biryani in some households.
I love this dish for its simplicity and flavor. Though simple in its ingredients it can be quite a tedious process to put all the parts together. Myna my writer/director for Spice Princess loves the dish and named it the “One Dish Dish” because it’s so hearty you don’t need to eat anything else with it.
For Rice and Dal
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 cup Tuar Dal/Lentils (pigeon peas)
- 2 Medium Potatoes (Cut into cubes)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Small Tomatoes (Cut into small cubes)
- ½ tsp. Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp. Chili (or to taste)
- 8 tbsp. Oil
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro & Green Chili Paste (Fresh Cilantro -2 tbsp. packed, 1 Green Chili (or to taste) ground to a fine paste)
- 1 tsp. Ginger & Garlic paste (½ tsp. Fresh Ginger, ½ tsp. Garlic ground to a fine paste)
- Salt to taste
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Cooked Dal/Lentil
- 2 or 3 cups Dal/Lentil Stock
- 4 Kokum flowers
- ¼ tsp. Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Coriander
- ¼ tsp. Chili
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric
- ¼ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 7 or 8 sprigs Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp. Oil
Rice and Dal
- Heat 4 tbsp. of oil
- Fry Potatoes till golden brown (recycle oil for Dal/Lentils)
- Wash and boil Dal/Lentil in 5 Cups of Water in a 3 Quart of bigger pot. Add Salt to taste. Cook till Dal/Lentil is al dente (20 Min on med flame).
- Strain Dal/Lentils keep the Dal/Lentils aside, save stock keep it aside too.
- Wash and boil Rice in 12 Cups of Water in a big pot. Add salt to taste. Cook till rice is al dente (15 Min on med flame) – strain, keep aside
- In a big flat/low pot add 4 Tbsp. of oil, plus any recycled oil from potatoes.
- Add Onions till light brown
- Add Tomatoes
- Add Ginger & Garlic
- Add Coriander & Green Chili
- Add Spices – Chili, Cumin, Coriander
- Cook till tomatoes are done
- Add Dal/Lentils, sauté for a minute
- Layer Dal/Lentils and Rice.
- Dal/Lentils at bottom Rice on Top
- Add 1 tsp. of oil over layered rice and lentil
- Seal with Aluminum Foil
- Cover with top over the Aluminum Foil
- Cook on Low flame for 10 to 15 min till rice and Dal/Lentils are completely done.
- Take the Dal/Lentil Stock kept aside.
- Take 2 tbsp. of cookedDal/Lentil which were kept aside
- Add all spices and Kokum
- Cook till Dal/Lentil completely dissolves
- Heat ½ tsp. of Oil in a small sauce pan
- Add Mustard seeds
- Add Cumin seeds
- Add Curry Leaves
- When piping hot, add to Dal/Lentil.
Serve Rice and Sauce with a fresh tangy, Onion, Tomato, green chili, cilantro, vineger, fresh lemon salsa.